Working/job hunting with arthritis

When I was first diagnosed with arthritis in both knees, I’d been with my employer for almost 10 years. They were with me through 3 operations and always had my back. 

Unfortunately for me, redundancy was just around the corner but I was cycling and getting much, much stronger. So, when I went to a new employer, I didn’t feel what I’d been through was really relevant. I wasn’t great going up or coming down stairs but I’m an accountant - they don’t need me to be a boss on the StairMaster! 

I was with the company for 4 years. During which time, I was diagnosed with a hip condition called femoral retroversion, and I needed a further 3 surgeries. It was as if I was allergic to my new employer because the minute my arse hit the chair, my body began to fall apart. 

Being diagnosed with arthritis in my hips as well was tough; it’s no longer something I can hide too well because at 37, I have the joints of a 60-year-old. 

I’d always been active in my early 20’s, so accepting that I was disabled just wasn’t something I cared to admit - to myself, let alone anyone else. 

‘Redundancy’ loomed again, so I found myself in the position of job hunting once more. It was less daunting this time; I’d been ready to move on since about 6 months in. Although now it was somewhat different, I had a disability I could no longer ignore. I have regular steroid injections which take around 2-3 days to rest and recover from. I also have frequent MRIs, physio and consultants appointments - these are all things I need support with, but I am more than the ‘sick girl’, aren’t I? Do I want or need everyone to know?

When you have an invisible disability, it gives us the ‘luxury’ on who we might want to open up to. Whom we give chapter and verse.

I battled for around 3-4 weeks with various options. Weighing up how I’d been treated in the past, questioning my integrity - should I lay all my cards on the table?

I’d discussed this with friends, family, recruitment consultants and other support groups members. Each person having strong but varying opinions, leaving me with 3 clear options when being interviewed:

1. Tell the employer about my condition and summarise any limitations - potentially putting them off?

2. Focus only on my skillset and experience, hiding my physical issues - only providing that information AFTER being offered the job?

3. Keep completely quiet. Be offered the job and hope that I could muddle through any pain or discomfort. Lord knows, I’ve been doing that for long enough now anyway.

I’ve often felt like I have a disability noose around my neck, pulling me down and suffocating me, cutting me off from opportunities - but why should I be left feeling like that? Being treated like an inconvenience or a burden!?

I completely understood why some people thought I should hide this, pointing out that I am more than this condition! Trouble is, it’s a big part of who I am and what I’ve been through. 

I made the decision to be honest with the recruitment agents, letting them decide how much information they revealed dependant on the employer. That seemed like a 4th option I’d not even considered. I needed to find the right placement for me, so that I could thrive and progress.

I went to interview for a company that didn’t go out to clients a lot, who didn’t do physically demanding audits - in fact, they didn’t do them at all! The recruitment agent had already told them that I have arthritis in my hips and knees, and that I’d had surgeries in the past. I was amazed that they were interested at all.

When I arrived, the director had already called the lift down for me to get in, whilst he took the stairs. It instantly made me feel supported. That might seem like something minor to others, but that small act of kindness warmed my heart.

He pulled out the chair for me to sit down and the interview was underway. I addressed the elephant in the room after around 10 minutes, once they knew who I was, why I was leaving my previous employer. Neither of the interviewers seemed bothered, and I arrived home to an email that I’d made it to the second round of interviews!

I was offered the job then, right on the spot!

I am over the moon and start work in about 3 week’s time.

It’s been just over 5 months since my ‘last surgery’ and I’m working my butt off (quite literally) to get stronger and fitter, so that I can manage my pain, symptoms and make a good impression. 

The last few months has taught me a lot - it’s not about hiding or revealing the information about disabilities, especially the invisible ones where we’ve become masters of our own disguise, it’s about finding the right employer for you. One that will support you in every way they can, and not make you feel less than you are. 

This is not a choice that we make about our bodies, but we can choose who we let into our lives.

—————————————————————

If you’re struggling with arthritis, or have knee/hip problems and are based in the UK, please feel free to join our support family: Hip/knee support & Chat (UK)



Comments

  1. Amazing blog!! Living with an invisible condition is hard as we are unsure what to tell people for the best!!

    I'm so glad you have an understanding employeer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The physical and mental strain, post op.

Painkillers, friend or foe?

Get well soon