Lockdown with chronic pain

It's hard to believe that it's been 4 months since the UK (and the world!) went into turmoil.

If you're one of the millions that were/are stuck at home, it's easy to see now how the time flies by. I'm used to that feeling though.

I have arthritis in my right hip and knee, being stuck at home and having very little, to no social life is just normal.

When my condition (femoral retroversion & FAI) started to rear its ugly head over 10 years ago, I used to think operations fixed things automatically, but a lot of hard work and physio goes into getting things to around 70-80%, if I'm lucky.

I had my knees operated on first (L once, R twice) in 2013, 2014 and 2015.

Most people opt for annual holidays, right?!

I then had operations to my hips in 2019 (L October, R January)

My operations were to preserve my joints but it doesn't mean my condition magically disappears. The head of my femurs (thigh bones) are still facing in the wrong direction.

But I'm 36 and too young for joint replacements. In the UK they like to wait until you're dragging your legs behind you in agony before they'll consider that option, although the idea has been floated.

I suppose I should cling onto the fact that I'm being described as 'too young' for once. I can't remember the last time a supermarket clerk asked me for ID.

I've been on various medication for as long as I can remember now. Drugs to help me sleep, control the pain, the inflammation, the nerve pain.......the pain!

There are often side effects and not all medication reacts in the same way to different people, so it's a fun game to find out what works and what just makes you want to vomit.

I've been on a pain medication drug, codeine for 6 years. I love it when GP's try to give the "these drugs are addictive" talk. I really think that horse has already bolted! Coming off them requires a trial for an alternative, something to put some gaffer tape over the mouths of my pain receptors. They do love to shout, regardless.

Opioids bind to specific receptors in the brain, mimicking the effects of pain-relief chemicals that are produced naturally, and by doing so they block the perception of pain.

Unfortunately the longer you take them, the less likely they are to do anything.

My femoral nerve was pulled during my last hip operation and since then I've been on a nerve blocker called Pregabalin. It's a controlled drug in the UK, mainly because those intent on abusing them love the high it gives you, which I'm sure is fun as a one off on a Friday night, but not fun when you're trying to function!

It does seem to like distracting my pain receptors though, like waving a red flag in the direction of a bull whilst a little gremlin continues to ride it's back.

It's more widely recognised as a drug to help with chronic pain, so I'm trying to come off opioids.


It isn't something you can do quickly though, if I did I might resemble a character in the classic movie Train Spotting. Even by doing it slowly there are still side effects - insomnia, headaches, migraines, diarrhea, nausea - it's so much fun!!

I decided lockdown would be the perfect time for me to try to stop.

I feel like shit and I know dropping that last dose will be the worst, but I know that I need to do this for the sake of my liver.

It's funny how so many celebrities have been admitted to rehab for addiction to prescription drugs, spending thousands of pounds.

They should have just waited for lockdown!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The physical and mental strain, post op.

Painkillers, friend or foe?

Get well soon