Post op recovery: Am I doing OK?
When you live with chronic pain, everything you do becomes a chore.
It can be really daunting at times, even if you're surrounded by a million friends and family, they will find it impossible to relate, unless they've been through the same.
I've been on this wild ride now for 8 years, with 5 joint operations under my belt. I'd like to consider myself an expert, but my condition throws new things at me all the time.
I joined a few chronic pain groups, but found my condition too rare to seek help and get the right advice.
I have femoral retroversion, and it means the head of my thigh bone is at a different angle.
It's destroying my hips and knees. I never thought I'd be in my 30's, looking forward to the days when I can have new ones and start my active life again.
But here we are.
After months of being on these generalised sites, I found a few based in America that seemed to fit my symptoms.
It wasn't long before I met a lady called Tanya, just before my first hip operation.
Tanya was a pro! She'd had a few ops already, so I began to pick her brains for advice so I could prepare myself for surgery, and for what to expect.
I'd had 3 knee operations, but I found the idea of any procedures on such a large and major joint, quite scary in comparison.
I loved the fact that she is so open and honest and never sugarcoats anything. Some would prefer to stick their heads in the sand, but I like to know everything in advance.
We've remained close since our first online chat, I know I can turn to her whenever I feel sad, angry or confused. I hope she realises how much of a difference she's made to my life. She's like my sponsor!
After my first hip operation in January, the recovery seemed to be going OK, but after a few weeks, it began to go back and forth. One day I'd be OK, the next I'd be in so much pain, and I began to feel very lost.
Tanya's advice at this point in particular, became invaluable. She told me about experiences she'd had, and it was as if she'd had a spy cam in my house! It was exactly what I'd been going through, and she reassured me that I was on the right path, that I was doing well.
I'm surprised she didn't slip an invoice under my door, by week 12 - 'services rendered'. I hope this doesn't give her any ideas.
I've been writing blogs for 2 years now, and I've connected to quite a few sufferers along the way.
I've spoken about this lady in my previous blog, but Danielle is a newbie in the broken hip world. She contacted me via Facebook, after reading my blogs.
She's asked me for advice in the lead up to her operation, and I quickly realised, I was Tanya!
It was nice to be able to pay it forward, and offer comfort and support to someone who was really anxious about what she was about to embark on.
Although hip arthroscopes have small incision sites, it's such a common misconception that it's a minor operation. It's anything but!
It is mentally and physically draining, and without the support of my beautiful sponsor, along with others in the group, I truly believe I'd be in a much darker place.
I've spoken before about the lack of mental health support with pre and post surgery, and things need to change.
It's so important to form bonds with others who've been there and bought the tshirt, so you can ask personal questions, whenever you feel out of your depth.
But I am always here, if you ever need to talk.
It can be really daunting at times, even if you're surrounded by a million friends and family, they will find it impossible to relate, unless they've been through the same.
I've been on this wild ride now for 8 years, with 5 joint operations under my belt. I'd like to consider myself an expert, but my condition throws new things at me all the time.
I joined a few chronic pain groups, but found my condition too rare to seek help and get the right advice.
I have femoral retroversion, and it means the head of my thigh bone is at a different angle.
It's destroying my hips and knees. I never thought I'd be in my 30's, looking forward to the days when I can have new ones and start my active life again.
But here we are.
After months of being on these generalised sites, I found a few based in America that seemed to fit my symptoms.
It wasn't long before I met a lady called Tanya, just before my first hip operation.
Tanya was a pro! She'd had a few ops already, so I began to pick her brains for advice so I could prepare myself for surgery, and for what to expect.
I'd had 3 knee operations, but I found the idea of any procedures on such a large and major joint, quite scary in comparison.
I loved the fact that she is so open and honest and never sugarcoats anything. Some would prefer to stick their heads in the sand, but I like to know everything in advance.
We've remained close since our first online chat, I know I can turn to her whenever I feel sad, angry or confused. I hope she realises how much of a difference she's made to my life. She's like my sponsor!
After my first hip operation in January, the recovery seemed to be going OK, but after a few weeks, it began to go back and forth. One day I'd be OK, the next I'd be in so much pain, and I began to feel very lost.
Tanya's advice at this point in particular, became invaluable. She told me about experiences she'd had, and it was as if she'd had a spy cam in my house! It was exactly what I'd been going through, and she reassured me that I was on the right path, that I was doing well.
I'm surprised she didn't slip an invoice under my door, by week 12 - 'services rendered'. I hope this doesn't give her any ideas.
I've been writing blogs for 2 years now, and I've connected to quite a few sufferers along the way.
I've spoken about this lady in my previous blog, but Danielle is a newbie in the broken hip world. She contacted me via Facebook, after reading my blogs.
She's asked me for advice in the lead up to her operation, and I quickly realised, I was Tanya!
It was nice to be able to pay it forward, and offer comfort and support to someone who was really anxious about what she was about to embark on.
Although hip arthroscopes have small incision sites, it's such a common misconception that it's a minor operation. It's anything but!
It is mentally and physically draining, and without the support of my beautiful sponsor, along with others in the group, I truly believe I'd be in a much darker place.
I've spoken before about the lack of mental health support with pre and post surgery, and things need to change.
It's so important to form bonds with others who've been there and bought the tshirt, so you can ask personal questions, whenever you feel out of your depth.
But I am always here, if you ever need to talk.

Comments
Post a Comment