Signs of post-op depression

I am now almost 7 weeks out from having a hip operation.

I had some tissue repaired and pinned, but also the head of the femur was shaved to stop it from repeatedly destroying my cartilage.

Thousands of hip operations are performed all over the world everyday, but no procedure is the same! My surgery cannot be compared to Bill who lives around the corner. This is not a ‘one size fits all’. Experienced surgeons try to correct young hip conditions, each procedure is so complex and unique, try is the operative word.

Although I’ve had a lot of operations in the past, this was my first hip surgery and it was the first where I had any restrictions post-op.

I am partial weight bearing, which means I'm on crutches and I'm not allowed to put my full weight through it. I underestimated just how annoying it would be to have to use crutches for such a long period of time. Food and drinks consists of anything you can stuff in your pockets, or carry in your mouth like a mule!

The most challenging part for me lately is not being able to entertain my now 9 month old Jack Russell. He still expects me to chase him with toys and play with him, but of course I can't and we both sit there looking at one another with sadness. I've been telling him jokes, but I don't think he understands the punchlines.

From previous surgeries, I knew the mental recovery to be the most challenging. It's hard to explain to those who've never gone through it, or to even prepare someone who is about to, just how difficult that aspect is.

Surgeons and physios will try to prepare you for the aftercare, the hard work that is ahead of you for months to come, but no one talks to you or gets you ready for the emotional rollercoaster of post-op.

Unfortunately there is no quick fix or guarantee that my surgery will even work, that is another aspect to stress and worry about.

Not being able to work, get out of the house or even dress yourself, is emotionally draining. You'll feel helpless, bored and completely alone, no matter how many people are there for you, helping you, and that is all perfectly normal. If you're reading this going through the same as me right now, please know that this is all part of the recovery process.

Experiencing symptoms of depression and anxiety after surgery is actually quite common, I know I’m not alone on this one. Feeling isolated, tired and dealing with more continuous pain, can often trigger feelings of hopelessness and despair.

Being 7 weeks out from surgery does not mean I "must be getting better" or that I'm "well on the road to recovery". If anything, when those around us have some sort of raised expectations, it makes us feel more irritable. I can assure you, it takes much longer than a couple of months.

I think around the two month mark is when I start to feel darker in myself, rather than 'better'. All I seem to want to do at the moment is sleep and eat and not deal with reality. I'm seeing my consultant soon for a post surgical checkup, I hope that he will settle some anxiety that I am experiencing. I hope he’s ready for my long list of questions.

However in the main, this is all part of the process of surgery. It will pass, but it takes time. Not weeks, but months and that's all perfectly normal.











Comments

  1. Loved reading this, I'm on my 10th hip surgery overall, and 8 weeks post op hip replacement. I identify with all of this x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The physical and mental strain, post op.

Painkillers, friend or foe?

Get well soon