Preparing for surgery
I think a lot of people would stress about being put on the waiting list for surgery, but for those in chronic pain, you feel like it’s a step forward.
I’m not sure the phrase ‘looking forward to’ should ever be used, but it’s something that you work towards and is hopefully a major milestone in your recovery.
In the days, weeks or even months on the lead up to ‘D-day’, you start prepare for the physical things. My top 10 items (in no particular order) are:
1. A crutch bag - I only discovered this recently. A bag, for your crutches! Genius.
2. An orthopaedic ‘v’ pillow - I no longer remember life prior to one now.
3. Shower aids - steps, seats, handrails. You know, the things that make you feel 90 at 30.
4. Toilet aids - you know you’ve reached new heights when a frame and raisers are introduced.
5. Chocolate, because....chocolate.
6. Ice!! - this cannot be stressed enough. Calms joints, relieves pain and reduces inflammation.
7. Netflix or other streaming devices- now is the time to watch that series everyone is raving about.
8. Non-spill drinks bottle - I’ve knocked over so many before realising I needed a toddler sippy cup.
9. Painkillers - sooo many side effects, and withdrawal is a bitch, but they had to be mentioned. You’ll also need some sort of high fibre substitute, because with all those painkillers, you may as well be ramming a cork up there.
10. Baby wipes & dry shampoo - not being able to shower for around 10 days+ means your friends will make excuses if you don’t sort out this one!

Once you’ve gotten your head around the post op needs, you then realise there’s a bunch of things you’ll need for hospital.
1. Dressing gown & slippers
2. Toiletries
3. Phone charger!
4. Nightwear. I feel like the PJ vs nightdress is a whole different question of its own.
5. Meds you’re already taking
Mentally my brain is going into overdrive contemplating the procedure itself, all the things that may go wrong, what they’ll actually find during the procedure, and even the worry for the amount of body parts that will be visible to all, as daft as that sounds.
All of the above tends to enter your head around 1-2 months prior I find, not to mention how nervous you are, counting down the days. If you’re a real loser like me, you’ll set up an app that counts down so you can keep track, right down to the hours and minutes!
It’s been a couple of years since I’ve had surgery (despite this being number 9), but I remember the worst fear around a week to two weeks before, and it actually isn’t the surgery itself, it surfaces when someone around you becomes ill!! Sickness!!!
All those worries about normal surgery fears don’t exactly go out the window, but your mind is suddenly consumed by the dreaded angst that your operation might even be cancelled if you became ill.
Most surgeons aren’t put off by a common cold or minor cough, but if you’re sick, have diarrhoea or a fever, then you can forget it, and this isn’t just a ‘reschedule for next week’ kind of appointment, you’re back on that dreaded waiting list!
Even if your nearest and dearest is ill, your first thought is no longer about their well being, it’s the concern that all this mental and physical preparation is all for nothing! It’s at that point that you can’t wait for the day to arrive, and to be all cleared and gowned up ready to be carved like a turkey!
I think one of the most common worries about preparing for surgery (and indeed the most common occurrence for the UK’s NHS) is that your operation is cancelled and rescheduled for a later date. Having been through this several times in the past, and more recently today I’m saddened to say. It’s absolutely heartbreaking.
Whilst I understand the powers that be have their reasons and that there may be greater needs than ours, someone else may need emergency surgery for example, but sometimes I don’t think they fully understand the mental preparation that we go through. That’s the real struggle of a journey when preparing for surgery, and unfortunately that’s not something you can ever really plan for.
I’m not sure the phrase ‘looking forward to’ should ever be used, but it’s something that you work towards and is hopefully a major milestone in your recovery.
In the days, weeks or even months on the lead up to ‘D-day’, you start prepare for the physical things. My top 10 items (in no particular order) are:
1. A crutch bag - I only discovered this recently. A bag, for your crutches! Genius.
2. An orthopaedic ‘v’ pillow - I no longer remember life prior to one now.
3. Shower aids - steps, seats, handrails. You know, the things that make you feel 90 at 30.
4. Toilet aids - you know you’ve reached new heights when a frame and raisers are introduced.
5. Chocolate, because....chocolate.
6. Ice!! - this cannot be stressed enough. Calms joints, relieves pain and reduces inflammation.
7. Netflix or other streaming devices- now is the time to watch that series everyone is raving about.
8. Non-spill drinks bottle - I’ve knocked over so many before realising I needed a toddler sippy cup.
9. Painkillers - sooo many side effects, and withdrawal is a bitch, but they had to be mentioned. You’ll also need some sort of high fibre substitute, because with all those painkillers, you may as well be ramming a cork up there.
10. Baby wipes & dry shampoo - not being able to shower for around 10 days+ means your friends will make excuses if you don’t sort out this one!

Once you’ve gotten your head around the post op needs, you then realise there’s a bunch of things you’ll need for hospital.
1. Dressing gown & slippers
2. Toiletries
3. Phone charger!
4. Nightwear. I feel like the PJ vs nightdress is a whole different question of its own.
5. Meds you’re already taking
Mentally my brain is going into overdrive contemplating the procedure itself, all the things that may go wrong, what they’ll actually find during the procedure, and even the worry for the amount of body parts that will be visible to all, as daft as that sounds.
All of the above tends to enter your head around 1-2 months prior I find, not to mention how nervous you are, counting down the days. If you’re a real loser like me, you’ll set up an app that counts down so you can keep track, right down to the hours and minutes!
It’s been a couple of years since I’ve had surgery (despite this being number 9), but I remember the worst fear around a week to two weeks before, and it actually isn’t the surgery itself, it surfaces when someone around you becomes ill!! Sickness!!!
All those worries about normal surgery fears don’t exactly go out the window, but your mind is suddenly consumed by the dreaded angst that your operation might even be cancelled if you became ill.
Most surgeons aren’t put off by a common cold or minor cough, but if you’re sick, have diarrhoea or a fever, then you can forget it, and this isn’t just a ‘reschedule for next week’ kind of appointment, you’re back on that dreaded waiting list!
Even if your nearest and dearest is ill, your first thought is no longer about their well being, it’s the concern that all this mental and physical preparation is all for nothing! It’s at that point that you can’t wait for the day to arrive, and to be all cleared and gowned up ready to be carved like a turkey!
I think one of the most common worries about preparing for surgery (and indeed the most common occurrence for the UK’s NHS) is that your operation is cancelled and rescheduled for a later date. Having been through this several times in the past, and more recently today I’m saddened to say. It’s absolutely heartbreaking.
Whilst I understand the powers that be have their reasons and that there may be greater needs than ours, someone else may need emergency surgery for example, but sometimes I don’t think they fully understand the mental preparation that we go through. That’s the real struggle of a journey when preparing for surgery, and unfortunately that’s not something you can ever really plan for.
Comments
Post a Comment