The Pain of Travelling

Before my hip condition, I used to love going on holiday! Who doesn't?!

Booking it and then counting down to being lay on a beach, it was the highlight of my year! The annual event where you can fill up on food and drink on the 'all abusive' package deal. However, the thought of just a day trip now fills me with fear.

From the travelling, the overnight saga, to the sitting at dinner, all of it just isn't worth the pain I'll endure, and I never dreamt I would ever say that.

There are several things that have become a necessity in life these days, most of which I physically need in each 24hrs.

Firstly there's the obligatory medication, pain 'relief', ibuprofen gels and muscle relaxants. Usually I have to obtain a medical certificate to show I am not a dealer as I travel through various airports.

Because I suffer from bursitis, a symptom of my hip condition, lying on my sides is almost impossible, but the discovery of the memory foam mattress changed my life!

In addition, I sleep with an orthopedic pillow to try to limit my bodies movements in the night. Now I'm aware a pillow might be achievable, but I'm pretty sure they haven't invented a travel memory foam mattress as of yet.

Finding accommodation at the right price, on the right dates is hard enough, finding one with that kind of mattress is almost impossible.

Ice packs are my absolute best friend (with the exception of my husband, of course). I literally cannot survive a day without using them. They can be difficult to travel with, and then where do you freeze them when you get to your destination? FYI, don't waste your time with self cooling ice packs, I don't think they'd keep my lunch cold in the middle of winter! If you need it whilst travelling, reusable ice bags are my top tip of the day, and most bar staff I've encountered, are happy to fill them up on a wink and a smile.

In general, ice doesn't settle down my pain for long, but it allows my brain to think of something else, become distracted, this is referred to as the 'pain gate theory'.

If you're unfamiliar, the pain gate theory dates back to 1965. Psychologists believe that non-painful input closes the 'gates' to painful input, which then prevents the pain sensation from travelling to the central nervous system, and therefore, stimulation by non-noxious input is able to suppress pain i.e. give me a minutes bloody peace!

I have a wheelchair for shopping trips, or supermarket visits because even after a 10 minute walk, I start to crouch forward like a wilting autumn flower and eventually resemble the Hunchback of Notre Dame. "The bells!"

I haven't taken the chair on a vacation yet, but I imagine it's an absolute nightmare. Besides, I can't actually sit in it comfortably for too long because of course, it's just another chair my hips can't tolerate! *sigh*

I wonder if I lay in a sleigh, and my husband dragged me around, would this be socially acceptable? Perhaps not, people stare enough at the chair, imagine the horror at that!

It still shocks me when able bodied citizens gawp at the disabled. Recently, a child started running along side me, and as I picked up speed, the little bugger actually began to race me! Naturally, I changed direction abruptly and I could see in his little face through the glass, he was most annoyed I'd mugged him off! You know I'm smiling to myself as I recollect that victory!

All of this aside, it's the travelling itself that is the worst part. Car journeys, airport seating, plane seating and endless walking, it is unbearable and when you have to suffer all of the above, and worry constantly about what the next chair will be like, is it worth the agony?






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The physical and mental strain, post op.

Painkillers, friend or foe?

Get well soon