New Year, new problems?

The period between Christmas Day and the New Year has always been an odd one. Some have returned back to work, whilst others are lucky enough to enjoy the rest of the holidays.

Fortunately for me, I'm one of those lucky gits. My hips are certainly welcoming the continued rest.

For those that are unfamiliar with my previous blogs, I suffer from a condition called bilateral femoral retroversion. This means that the neck/head of the thigh bone is rotated backwards and affects both of my hips.

Some of my pain is caused by the stress inside the socket, but most of my agony stems from the muscles, bursa and tendons that surround the structures themselves. They always like to do a merry dance in the dead of night, so sadly they don't seem to care that it's Christmas either.

It can be difficult to stand, walk and even sit in a chair, and as you can imagine, all of which are somewhat 'issues' over the festive period. As I struggled to sit at the table, regrettably this year it came between me and pudding! I'm still trying to comes to terms with this loss.

However, it's also that time of year when you can start drinking at 10am without anyone urging you to call the samaritans, or evaluating your life choices, so that makes things a little easier at least.

Like any silent illness or condition, it is difficult for those even close to you to understand the pain and discomfort suffered on a daily basis. As a society we seem to have more empathy and compassion towards things in which can be physically seen and witnessed.

Whether you choose to believe it or not, chronic pain causes physical and emotional stresses on the body. It can raise blood pressure, increase breathing/heart rate and cause muscle tension. All of these things are hard on our bodies, meaning leading a full life almost impossible.

If you never mention it, it's "I'd understand more if you talked to me", and if you DO talk about it, it's met with eye rolling and "oh not this again, is she still moaning". After 6 years, I haven't correctly pinpointed the optimal balance, if there even is one? I've just learnt to give less of a shit.

According to research, the average woman cries between 30 and 64 times a year, it seemed like a lot at first, then I realised that was just my average Wednesday. It doesn't bother me though, I am aware that it is a human response to sorrow and frustration. It is a natural way to reduce emotional stress that, if left unchecked, can have detrimental effects to your overall health. It is not a sign of weakness.

I consider myself lucky that I can walk for 5-10 minutes unaided, and unless you saw me applying ice up to 5 times a day, and taking strong pain medication, you'd probably be one of those cretins (harsh?) that assumes I'm 'milking it'. I wish I was.

Every year I read 'New Year, new me' posts. Plans to quit smoking, eat less, drink less and get fit. Although isn't the chance at a new year the day after each birthday? Anyhow, I digress.

2017 has actually been a good year for me, as it's the only year since 2011 that I haven't had an operation, which I will call a triumph.

*pause to allow for celebration*

I'm currently a month into six painful months of physio, but I fear they're putting off the inevitable whilst they try to figure out which operation to perform next. 

Every year I just want to get better, and sadly it's a resolution that's never achieved.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The physical and mental strain, post op.

Painkillers, friend or foe?

Get well soon