Where's The Exit?

Where's The Exit?

When I first started suffering from chronic pain, I'm sure I cried most days. I couldn't cope with the mental strain that came with constant pain. Nowadays it's once a week, and generally followed almost instantly by normality, a calm. It's almost surreal.

I used to love rollercoasters when I was younger, but this one isn't one many people would pay to get on, and many sufferers are constantly asking, where's the damn exit?

The constant ups and downs of living with constant pain is exhausting, mentally as well as physically. Everyday small annoyances become great big mountains that we will completely overreact to, (I hope that's not just me by the way).

Most people have ups and downs during the week, but I have ups and downs during each day.
There's no point in asking me how I am anymore, because that really depends on if it's 10:00 am, or 10:05 am when you ask.

I used to run and go the gym a lot before my body began to go on protest. It made a massive difference to my mood and general well being. It's a well know fact that exercise releases endorphins, which elevate your mood.

I've suffered from issues as a young adult and had to battle demons for which I received counselling for. They helped me to come up with better coping mechanisms, one of which would be to go for a run, but unfortunately that just isn't possible anymore. My body hates sitting, standing up or even sleeping, just imagine it's dismay if I were to start pounding the pavements again.

Recently I started doing some research into alternative mood elevators. Now I'm not sure if any of these actually work, but when some of the suggestions are vanilla extract, coco and chilli, who am I to turn down a chicken tikka masala and a bar of Dairy Milk. Of course my waistline isn't as forgiving to my 'experiments', either that or my washing machine is shrinking my clothes.

At the moment I'm still waiting to find out which of the operations they plan to put both my hips through. Most of the time I find ignorance is indeed bliss, but having had many operations before, I'm pretty sure I know what to expect. A wave of panic then comes over me followed by tears, meltdowns and of course, normality, "I wonder if my dinner is ready yet", and so it continues.

As soon as you're put on the waiting list, the best thing you can do is weight training/strengthening exercises.
Facing an operation when your body and muscles have all but disintegrated is not where you want to be. So I'll have to force myself to battle through the pain in a bid to strengthen those measly muscles, because the stronger you are before the operation, the quicker your recovery.

I very much recommend this approach. It hurts like hell before, but for those of you that know, physio after an operation is an absolute bitch! So anything you can do to ease that nightmare of a process, the better.

Today I had constant pain, but I also had joy, laughter, love and great food.

So I win.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The physical and mental strain, post op.

Painkillers, friend or foe?

Get well soon